“There are no strange creatures, only blinkered people,” says Newt Scamander, our protagonist from the film depicting his pure love and affection for the magical creatures and his hatred towards selfish wizards.
Well the wait is over for the Potterheads as their most awaited movie has finally hit the theatres. Ever since J.K. Rowling announced that Fantastic Beasts series will be a 5-movie affair, fans have been wondering just how much she will be involved in it. We at Read Scoops bring to you our review for Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them: The Crimes Of Grindelwald.
The movie begins with a devilishly looking Gellert Grindelwald, played by Johnny Depp waiting in his cell at the MACUSA (American Magic Ministry) to be transferred to London. What happens next is a brilliant escape scene which will keep you at the edge of your seats.
Meanwhile in London where our hero Newt is, we are introduced to his Auror brother Theseus who is now engaged to Leta Lestrange (Newt’s old friend from Hogwarts). Newt loses his appeal to restore his international travel rights as he refuses to work with the Ministry to track down the Obscurial Credence Barebone who is rumoured to be in Paris.
A young (not the old wise man from the Potter movies) Albus Dumbledore played by the slick Jude Law appears out of nowhere and hands an undercover mission to Newt Scamander and his sidekick Jacob the No-Maj from America. With Tina and Queenie Goldstein, the wizard sisters from New York both in Paris, we see some familiar faces.
The movie introduces us to Nagini, yes the last of the Horcruxes made by the future Dark Lord Voldemort. She’s a ‘Maledictus’ which is a carrier of blood curse which ultimately destines the person to permanently transform into a beast.
“Magic blooms… only in rare souls. Still, we must skulk in shadows.But the old ways serve us no longer.”– Gellert Grindelwald.
Grindelwald is rallying people on his side, promising them ‘freedom’ from the constant hiding of wizards from the normal world. He promises them the world will be theirs where wizards will no longer be in hiding, where they will rule the world.
Grindelwald calls for his supporters and asks them to come with him. Surrounded by Aurors he casts a blue flame to divide his followers from enemies. With losses on both sides he flees to Nurmengard in Austria which he makes his stronghold. The Aurors along with the help of Newt and Nicholas Flamel (Oh yes, the legendary immortal alchemist!) destroy the blue flame hence saving Paris.
- All the performances have been superb especially Johnny Depp as the cold, menacing and the ghost-like Grindelwald.
- Eddie Redmayne is as fabulous as always (What a tremendous actor he’s been over the years).
- Jude Law impresses with his charm and a sense of humour which we all know and missed about Dumbledore.
- Dan Fogler is the comic relief just like in the first part.
- Ezra Miller is growing in each movie he’s been. A superstar in the making.
- Claudia Kim as Nagini, I don’t know how much we are going to see of her in the next movie but fingers crossed on this one.
- Special mentions to Katherine Waterston, Alison Sudol, Zoe Kravitz (Every time the name ‘Lestrange’ pops up, I get this rage inside of me) and Callum Turner for their well supporting roles.
- Last but not the least, the magical creatures. Always a treat to watch them. They take me to a serene place.
- Most of the film looks like a filler wherein we have a lot of back-stories going on.
- The plot seems a wee bit dull with very few action scenes apart from the one at the start and at the climax.
- For the sake of 5 films, will J. K. Rowling lose the plot?
This movie is strictly for the fans. While the first movie was a commercial and a critical success, I don’t think this movie can match its predecessor in terms on content. Being a life-long Harry Potter fan, it was amazing to see Hogwarts but that’s just it. Honestly this feels like ‘The Hobbit’ series.
As from a neutral point of view I feel it’s a decent movie which has its moments but they’re far off between. That’s it for today fellas, we will be back soon with some more reviews and previews. Stay tuned to ReadScoops.com for similar Hollywood movie reviews.
- Sports Scoops
- Technology Scoops
- Entertainment Scoops
- Best online poker rooms in India
- How to get free live streaming on 1xBET