The 1st test match between India and Sri Lanka has finally come to an end, with all three results possible as we walked into Day 5. After seeing hardly any play on the first couple of days, Sri Lanka managed to dominate completely for 4 days, while India gave themselves a 2% chance on the final day.
The chance was mostly due to a stupendous effort by captain Virat Kohli, who smashed 104(119)* in the 2nd innings, after a disappointing duck in the 1st innings. Virat breaks some new record in every game and here, we’ve listed down the various records Kohli broke in this 1st test match:
- 11 – Virat Kohi has scored 11 Test centuries as captain. This is most scored by an Indian captain in Tests. He is now level with Sunil Gavaskar (11 centuries as captain) but it won’t be too long before he passes Gavaskar.
- 21 – Virat Kohli has scored 21 centuries as captain in international cricket (across all formats). Only Ricky Ponting (41) and Graeme Smith (33) have scored more centuries as captain than Kohli.
- 50 – Virat has completed 50 centuries in international cricket, with his unbeaten 104* in the 2nd innings at The Eden Gardens (Day 5), which is also his 18th Test century. He has scored 32 ODI hundreds.
- 9 – He has scored 9 hundreds (across all formats) as captain in 2017, which is the most for any player in a calendar year. Ricky Ponting (9 hundreds in 2005 & 9 hundreds in 2006) and Graeme Smith (9 hundreds in 2005) are the only other captains to score 9 hundreds in an year. Can he get another one before 2018 begins?
- 50+ – Virat Kohli is the only player to have a batting average of over 50 in all three formats of the game (Tests: 50.12, ODIs: 55.74, T20Is: 52.86). He had done this before but his test average slipped for a while, only for it to go past 50 AGAIN!
- 100 – Sachin Tendulkar
- 71 – Ricky Ponting
- 63 – Kumar Sangakkara
- 62 – Jacques Kallis
- 54 – Hashim Amla / Mahela Jayawardene
- 53 – Brian Lara
- 50 – Virat Kohli
Batting average in Tests as captain
— Cric Stat (@Cric_Stat) November 20, 2017