The English Premier League is back after a gap of mere 2 days. As we move into the Christmas festive period the fixtures are getting tighter. A packed schedule awaits the Premier League fans. Here’s the fixture list with local IST TV listings:
1. CHELSEA VS NEWCASTLE UNITED
- Chelsea have won 4 and drawn 1 in their last 5 matches while Newcastle have lost 4 and drawn 1.
- A win for Chelsea will make it 16 wins against Newcastle at home in Premier League and equal the record they hold currently against Tottenham(16 wins).
- Newcastle United’s last victory at Stamford Bridge came way back in 2012.
- Jonjo Shelvey has scored against Chelsea for both Liverpool and Swansea.
2. EVERTON VS HUDDERSFIELD TOWN
- With 2 wins in their last 5 matches, Everton find themselves above Huddersfield in the League Table for the first time this season.
- After a great start, Huddersfield have slumped over the recent weeks with 4 losses in their last 5 with 3 losses on the trot.
- Everton have lost only one of their last 20 Premier League matches against newly promoted teams.
- Huddersfield Town’s last victory against Everton in a competitive match was in 1937!
3. BRIGHTON VS LIVERPOOL
- Brighton have won just once in their last 5 matches while Liverpool has won 4.
- The last time these two met in the top division league was in 1983 which ended in a 2-2 draw.
- Brighton are unbeaten in their last 6 Premier League matches at home.
- Salah’s 12 goals in his first 14 PL matches is a Liverpool club record.
4. LEICESTER CITY VS BURNLEY
- Both teams are flying high at the moment with just 1 defeat in their last 5 matches. Leicester have won 2 while Burnley have won 4 games in the process.
- Burnley ended a run of 10 league matches without a win against Leicester in January 2017 while Leicester City have scored in 13 of their last 14 home matches in the Premier League.
- Jamie Vardy is one goal away from becoming the first Leicester player to score 50 goals in the PL.
- Burnley have won just once in their last 4 head-to-head matches with Leicester winning twice.
5. WATFORD VS TOTTENHAM SPURS
- Both teams have suffered 3 losses in their last 5 matches with Watford winning 2 and Tottenham winning only 1.
- Watford are winless in their 8 PL matches against Spurs with Spurs winning all 5 of their last encounters.
- Watford’s only 2 home wins this season have been against London clubs-Arsenal and West Ham.
- Another loss would be Spur’s 4th away loss in a row, their worst streak for 8 seasons.
6. STOKE CITY VS SWANSEA
- Stoke have just 1 win in their last 5 matches whereas Swansea are winless.
- Stoke City are unbeaten against Swansea City in all 6 PL meetings at their current stadium.
- Wilfred Bony having played for both the clubs has scored 5 goals in this Premier League fixture, 2 for Stoke and 3 for Swansea.
- Both teams have similar stats in their last 5 head-to-head matches. (2W,2L,1D)
Our Match Of The Week is obviously one of the most fierce rivalry in English Premier League, thanks to their managers, Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex Ferguson. Wenger’s appointment as Arsenal boss signaled a shift in power of the Premier League as both managers battled in and out for every trophy available. Their heated rivalry was more advertised by their fiery encounters on the pitch with both sets of players trying to outdo each other. They had the most commanding captains in Patrick Viera at Arsenal and Roy Keane at Manchester United. Their famous pre-match tunnel spat in 2005 is for all to see and it just displayed the kind of intensity the players had while facing each other.
Over the years the relationship between the managers softened as Arsenal lost their power of challenging for titles and with teams like Arsenal, Manchester City coming to the frame. Although the current manager of Jose Mourinho has had quite a history with Arsene Wenger. We should expect quite some fireworks on the pitch as well on the touchline.
Here’s a look at the last 5 encounters between them:
- Both teams are on a roll with 4 wins and 1 loss in their last 5 matches.
- Arsenal have lost only 1 of their last 5 PL home matches against Manchester United.
- Manchester United have won 7 matches away at Arsenal, a Premier League record which they are tied with Liverpool.
- Arsenal have won their last 12 home PL matches in a row, a win would make them tied to their personal best of 13 wins which was set in 2005.
- Manchester United’s last win at Arsenal was in November 2014 when Louis Van Gaal was their manager.
8. WEST BROMWICH ALBION VS CRYSTAL PALACE
- West Brom are struggling at the moment with no wins in their last 5 matches whereas Palace are gaining momentum with only 1 loss in their last 5.
- Palace have failed to score in 9 consecutive away matches and another blank will make them the first club to not score in 10 PL away matches, something that Roy Hodgson wouldn’t want.
- West Brom have won 3 of their last 5 head-to-head matches while Palace have won 2.
- Newly appointed manager of West Brom, Alan Pardew becomes the fifth manager to take charge of at least 5 different Premier League clubs.
9. MANCHESTER CITY VS WEST HAM UNITED
- Table toppers Manchester City play a dreadful West Ham team which has no wins in their last 5 matches.
- Another win for City will take them to 13 PL wins in a row, a record held currently by Chelsea and Arsenal.
- The last time West Ham beat City at Etihad, it broke City’s then club record of 11 consecutive PL wins. Can they do it again? It looks highly unlikely!
- Manchester City has set a Premier League record for most points after 14 matches (40).
- City players leads the Premier League charts for most assists and passes so far.
10. AFC BOURNEMOUTH VS SOUTHAMPTON
- Bournemouth have won twice in their last 5 matches while Southampton have just one.
- Bournemouth’s Jermaine Defoe’s first Premier League hattrick was against Southampton in 2004 for Spurs.
- Both teams have 4 wins from their 14 PL matches so far this season with only 2 points separating them.
That’s it for the week folks. If you like what you’ve read, check out more stuff: