The 2018 Australian Open is now well under way and while there were quite a few shock exits on Day 1, Day 2 was more of a stable one, with all the top seeds in action managing to move through to the next round. Simona Halep lost a few games early on in her match up, but recovered well to win in straight sets.
#3 seed Garbine Muguruza also completed a straight set victory, as did the comeback girl Maria Sharapova, beating Maria Tatjana 6-1, 6-4. She isn’t seeded in this tournament but we all know that she is one of the best woman tennis players in the world.
— #AusOpen (@AustralianOpen) January 16, 2018
Men’s top contenders Roger Federer & Novak Djokovic also won without breaking a sweat, while Dominic Thiem and Juan Martin del Potro went through with ease as well. Thiem, in his match-up, produced a brilliant tweener shot as seen in the tweet above. Best shot of the tournament so far!
Important results from Day 2:
- V. Cepede-Royg 3-6, 4-6 Ka. Pliskova
- T. Fabbiano 1-6, 6-7, 5-7 A. Zverev
- S. Halep 7-6, 6-1 D. Alava
- A Bedene 3-6, 4-6, 3-6 R. Federer
- C. Witthoeft 5-7, 3-6 C. Garcia
- T. Maria 1-6, 4-6 M. Sharapova
- N. Djokovic 6-1, 6-2, 6-4 D. Young
- G. Muguruza 6-4, 6-3 J. Ponchet
- F. Tiafoe 3-6, 4-6, 3-6 J. del Potro
- J. Konta 6-3, 6-1 M. Brengle
- A . Kerber 6-0, 6-4 A. Friedsam
- R. Berankis 3-6, 4-6, 6-2, 6-7 S. Wawrinka
- D. Thiem 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 G. Pella
- K. Mladenovic 3-6, 2-6 A. Bogdan
- S. Querrey 6-3, 6-4, 6-2 F. Lopez
We’ve brought to you the results of all the big games of Day 2 and will be doing a small roundup like this daily. We will also be covering individual big games towards the latter parts of the tournament. Keep following our Tennis Scoops section for full updates on the 2018 Australian Open.